Dan, our beloved Content Director for the past year, is moving on and we need someone to step in and carry the torch. If you have a knack for writing and a passion for RPGs, you’re a great fit.
To apply, send me (email@example.com) three samples of your writing. The best samples would be specific URLs to blog posts or other web-based media you’ve created. If you want to go all out, edit and revise one of our newsletters or blog posts to show how we could do it better. What we’re looking for is quality and clarity of writing, an appreciation of aesthetics, and the ability to use the tools of the web to their fullest. What we’re not looking for is great fiction writing or awesome GM’ing skills.
Tell me a little about yourself and why you’d be a good fit for the job. Tell me what you want to get out of the position. Tell me where you’d go with Obsidian Portal if you were in control, since that’s a big part of the job: helping us figure out what to do next.
- Part of a small, highly focused team
- Chart the course of Obsidian Portal
- Interact with an awesome community
- Meet VIPs in the tabletop industry
- Free passes to conventions
- Work from anywhere
- Discover amazing campaigns on Obsidian Portal and select and write about one each month
- Engage daily with the community via Twitter, Facebook, and this blog. You will be our voice on the Web.
- Compose the monthly newsletter detailing site updates, news, and upcoming events.
- Manage contests and giveaways
- Manage the Emissary program and forum moderators
- Come up with cool promotions and giveaways
- Engage with members of the RPG industry to spotlight products, companies, and events that may be of interest to our community
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Basic understanding of the Web. You don’t have to be an expert programmer, but you’ll need to know how to post images, edit blog posts, and do some basic formatting.
- Vocal member of the tabletop community
- Knowledgeable about tabletop RPGs (and geek culture in general)
- 5-10 hours a week
This is a volunteer position, but there are many benefits. We can get you passes to almost any convention you want to attend, along with other similar perks. We can connect you to awesome people in the RPG industry. Think creatively about what you want and we’ll see if we can get it for you.
Note: Please do not apply via the comments. Read the instructions above!